17th Annual Cardboard Box Derby
Registration begins at 9:30am-11:30am and judging begins at 10:00am-11:45am on the main plaza.
This is not a race! There are no points for speed. A panel of judges will rate each craft for originality, costumes, and construction. Of course you also need to finish with all your team members on board.
$10 entry fee. Entry fees go toward prize money for best craft for both adults and juniors.
Join Grand Targhee Resort for the Annual Spring Cardboard Box Derby. Watch as cardboard artists and mechanics turn little more than cardboard, paper, tape, glue, and string into the most creative sculptures that you can think of like dragons, race cars, UFO’s, and other themes.
Test your creativity by constructing a cardboard craft able to swoosh down the ski hill carrying you and your team members. The rules to building your craft are simple: constructed solely of cardboard, paper, glue, tape, and string. Sponsors names must be printed somewhere on the craft. Complete rules and a release form are available; see download above.
Your cardboard vehicle may be simple or complex with up to 4 adult (or 6 under 18 yrs of age) pilots to maneuver down the ski hill. Remember the more creative your craft the better your chances for winning. This will be a great way to end the season at Grand Targhee. Group entries are encouraged: bars, restaurants, motels, ski shops, coworkers, etc. There will be fun for everyone including music, outdoor sun tanning, watching the race and awesome spring skiing.
- Prizes will go to the top team in each category:
- Best Overall
- Best Spirit and Attitude
- Best Construction/Engineering
- Awards will be on the Main Plaza.
- All cardboard crafts must be built solely of cardboard, tape, string, glue and paper. Tyvek paper or any other material will not be allowed and will be disqualified. No exceptions! All sponsors must be printed somewhere on the craft.
- Teams may consist of 4 adults (or 6 kids under 18 years old).
- Crew members must wear non-hazardous clothing
- You must be 18 years old, or in the kid’s class, and you will need parental consent and release form signed.
- The decision of the events committee concerning awards or disqualification is final.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct is grounds for disqualification.
- Every participant must sign a liability waiver before competing.
- No strapping into the crafts.
- Teams must be able to stop their craft.
- All participants must wear a manufacturer made helmet, No exceptions!
Any competitor that has had too much to drink will not be allowed to compete for their own safety!!!