Grand Targhee Bike School
MOUNTAIN BIKE LESSONS
Advanced purchase is recommended and greatly appreciated.
With the lift serviced Grand Targhee Bike Park and the miles of epic single-track, there is great riding for every type of rider. All sessions are designed to maximize your enjoyment on the bike while building your skills and confidence with a safe and progressive learning environment.
Bike clinics are available for private or private group lessons. If you are new to the sport or want a quick tune-up, PMBIA certified instructors can introduce the fundamental skills to ride effectively while having fun, staying safe, and gaining confidence. Experienced riders can elevate skills on our downhill or XC trails. Clinics help teach and improve fundamental & technical skills including proper body position, braking, shifting, cornering, technical climbing, descending and more, to have your riding more confidently to ensure maximum enjoyment of Targhee’s legendary trails.
- Monday & Wednesday: lesson start time between 12:30pm – 3:00pm
- Tues, Thursday – Sunday: lesson start time between 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Downhill between 10:00am – 1:00pm
Junior Lessons (6-12)
- All staff will undergo a health screening prior to every shift.
- Sneeze guards will be placed at all point-of-sale locations.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the resort.
- Guests will be encouraged to bring their own mask or face covering.
- The resort will accept all forms of payment, but strongly encourages guests to purchase products and activities online prior to arrival, and use cashless forms of payment when in-resort
COVID-19 Bike Instruction Procedures:
- Bike Instructors will follow guidelines set forth by PMBIA: https://pmbia.org/category/covid-19/
- Instructor will maintain distance of 6 feet
- Instructor will ride on separate chair than student to maintain 6 foot spacing if the student is over the age of 12.
- If the student is under the age of 12, the instructor may ride on opposite ends of the chair with the student.
- Instructor will carry face mask, hand sanitizer and gloves
- Instructor will avoid touching participants bike.
- Private/Semi-private lessons only offered
MOUNTAIN BIKE ABILITY LEVEL GUIDE
LEVEL 1: beginner rider
XC: Comfortably ride paths & roads (paved & dirt) on a bike. some experience on mountain bikes riding dirt roads, gravel trails, and 2-track. can balance & control a bike & brake using hand brakes.
Gravity: All of the above with no experience in a downhill mountain bike park.
LEVEL 2: NOVICE RIDER
XC: Some experience on green (easy) technical xc trails, ie: easy gradient with roots & rocks; limited mileage on xc mountain bikes; can ride wide turns on wide, smooth trails.
Gravity: Limited experience (less than 5 days) in downhill mountain bike parks. Able to ride comfortably at slow speeds on green trails over roots/rocks/logs/loose dirt and through corners.
LEVEL 3: INTERMEDIATE RIDER
XC: Comfortable at slower speeds on technical blue trails with roots/loose rocks/tight singletrack. can ride corners safely. good balance and control in both seated and standing positions. can ride, balance, change gears, brake without thinking about it.
Gravity: Bike park experience on green and easy blue trails. 5-10 days of experience riding downhill. able to ride at moderate speeds on blue trails over roots/rocks/loose gravel & dirt/small rollovers & drops. looking to learn how to drop and jump safely.
LEVEL 4: STRONG INTERMEDIATE RIDER
XC: Can ride blue trails and some black xc technical singletrack trails. can handle small drops/roots/rocks/corners/loose gravel and steeper, descending terrain.
Gravity: Comfortable on all green and blue technical downhill trails at moderate to higher speeds with rollers/easy jumps/wall rides/elevated wooden features. working on improving jump/drop/cornering skills to handle harder trails and higher speeds.
LEVEL 5: ADVANCED RIDER
XC: Comfortable & enjoys all blue technical singletrack trails with jumps & drops; has significant mileage on black technical trails & flow trails with jumps & drops with narrower, rougher, steeper & tighter terrain. able to ride smoothly, retain balance, change gears & brake comfortably at higher speeds and on steeper & rougher terrain.
Gravity: Comfortable & enjoys all blue technical singletrack trails with jumps & drops; has significant mileage on black technical trails & flow trails with jumps & drops with narrower, rougher, steeper & tighter terrain. working on more advanced braking, cornering, balancing and improving technique on black jump & drop features.